1) How do we ensure students’ screen time is in control?
- We have ensured that we maintain a balance between synchronous live sessions & offline assignments to keep a check on screen time.
- The school day has been shortened to 4 hours with 10 minute breaks between every class.
- Students are encouraged to pursue their interests and hobbies apart from activities organized by the school.
2) How are we conducting events & activities?
- All our events and activities have seamlessly moved online and are being conducted as per schedule.
- Events such as Friyay@TABIS, Father’s Day, Investiture Ceremony and Co-curricular activities have been conducted via Zoom.
3) How we are ensuring that online learning is safe?
- We have set guidelines with a list of do’s & don’ts for students along with a strict discipline policy.
- Waiting room has been enabled on Zoom and only students who have logged in with their school email ID are allowed to enter the virtual classroom.
- Screen sharing, chats, renaming themselves is disallowed.
- Each class has a personalized password to enter and the classes are locked after the roll call is taken by the teacher.
4) How do we ensure discipline is maintained in online learning?
- Students to login prior to the commencement of the class, wait in the room enabled by the teacher, login must be by name from school email id so that teacher can identify and allow entry.
- The web cam needs to be kept on at all times during the class.
- Virtual backgrounds are discouraged.
- Chatting with peers, screen sharing or annotating during class is not allowed.
- Students need to be dressed appropriately at all times.
- Students need to maintain the right posture during class and conduct. Lounging position will not be appreciated.
- Eating during class is not allowed. However, the student can have water at any time.
- Washroom breaks are discouraged. However, students can seek the teacher’s permission in urgent cases.
- Students cannot leave the virtual classes without teacher’s permission.
5) What has the pandemic taught the students?
- It is so heartening to know that our children are spending time amidst family, contributing in their own way to help at home.
- They have realized that they are capable of handling change and can adapt to any situation.
- There is a new respect for household matters which otherwise, children tend to take for granted.
- This global crisis has taught us all self-management and life skills.
6) Which are some of the applications used to aid online learning?
- Synchronous Live Sessions are held via Zoom.
- We use Google Classroom as a Digital Learning Management System to help classes connect remotely, communicate and stay organized.
- Apart from this, a plethora of other web based resources are used for teacher driven or self-directed learning content, based on the grades of the students.
7) What has been done to ensure child’s socio emotional development has been taken of as well?
- Minds Matter – our team has designed Minds Matter, the first school-based mental health curriculum in India. This curriculum is woven into the classroom timetable and incorporates mental health literacy, psychosocial intervention, and professional treatments, if required.
- All our Co-curricular activities – drama, Fitkid, music, dance, chess, curiosity gym, art & PE are conducted based on the grade for students to ensure all round development takes place, even during the lockdown.
- We are conducting Birthday celebrations online as well for students.
Tips for Parents
- Establish routines & expectations – set up a timetable at home for learning, grooming, exercising, chores, sleep and even play.
- Define a physical space for study.
- Ensure children take their online classes seriously and with discipline.
- Encourage children to learn independently and maintain integrity in their work.
- Monitor screen time and try to create a balance between active screen time and other activities during the day.
- Be mindful of your child’s worries, acknowledge their concerns and make developmentally appropriate conversations to address their concerns.
- Encourage physical activity and play time.